Gosport's buses and trams An online exhibition created by The Provincial Society, with support from Hampshire County Council Arts and Museums Service  
     
 

 
 
   Home         Timeline  
 
 
 
The first electric tram car in Gosport  
 

 

This view purportedly shows the arrival of the first electric tram car at Gosport. THe first test run to Gosport Hard was conducted on 20th December 1905. The first service ran on 24th January 1906. The building to the rear of the photograph is the Market House. It was severely damaged during an air raid in 1940 and finally demolished in the 1960s. The half timbered building to the rear of the photograph was the Northumberland Arms public house, which was demolished in the mid 1960s. The drinking fountain to the right of the photograph was erected by Rear Admiral Robert Fitzgerald Gambier (1803-1870) who was one of three founders of The Royal Sailors Rest in Home in Portsmouth. Erected in September 1870. A marble construction on a riased plinth.

 
  Hampshire Museums Service
 

 

Links

The Provincial Society (main website)

Provincial enthusiasts website

Contact

For more information please contact

The Provincial Society:

www.provincialsociety.org

 

(C) Copyright The Provincial Society

Registered Charity No. 1104834